- Following a dreadful start to the year
with a legal case over anorexia allegations, Keira's 2007 ended on a positive
note, with an award win and two more nominations for her role in Atonement.
Filming only two movies this year - The Edge of Love and The Duchess -
Keira kept to her word and had a well-earned break, visiting Austria and
touring Asia. There was no let-up in the media interest surrounding Keira,
but many stories were unfounded. Print media continues to love Keira, appearing
on possibly more magazine covers than in any other year. With Atonement
widely confirming Keira as a serious, adult actress, and with two more
adult-themed movies set for release in 2008 (and with the Disney years
hopefully behind her), Keira is now becoming recognised worldwide as a
mature, hugely-talented, great British actress.
- Keira started the year with a working
holiday in Hawaii, where she did some reshoots
on the final Pirates of the Caribbean movie.
- The photos
of Keira and Rupert, happy and relaxed in the sea, belied what was to come
when those photos reached the world's press. This
article in The Daily Mail in particular, (originally using one of the
above bikini shots, thought the article no longer appears online at the
newspaper's web site), was to launch Keira's first litigation of her professional
career. After consulting with her lawyers, she launched a legal campaign
against the implications of the article on January 22nd. Her lawyer said:
"Ms Knightley will argue that the Mail's article suggests that she has
dishonestly sought to mislead the public about whether she has anorexia
or similar eating disorder and will show that she does not have anorexia;
and further will challenge the suggestion that she is responsible and to
blame for the tragic death of the teenage girl by setting a bad example."
Over 100 messages of support were received by KeiraWeb and were passed
on to Keira's legal team.
- Keira and Johnny Depp won Best On-Screen
Match-Up (for Pirates DMC) at the People's Choice Awards.
- Pictures, artwork
and clips continue to surface for the third Pirates of the Caribbean movie,
At World's End.
abound of not one but three Dylan Thomas movies to be made in 2007, include
The Best Time Of Our Lives, starring Keira and Lindsay Lohan, and scripted
by Keira's mother.
- Keira and Rupert take a break outside
of paparazzos' influence when they visit Bhutan and Thailand.
- The Pirates franchise wins its first
Academy Award as DMC wins Best Visual Effects.
- A previously unknown Keira production
came to light at the end of February. She recorded a radio version of Richard
Hughes' novel A High Wind In Jamaica for BBC Radio, in which her character
and her family are kidnapped by pirates. It was broadcast in 2000.
- Keira and James McAvoy record
an extra scene for Atonement on a beach near Dover, Kent.
- Matthew Rhys and Cillian Murphy are
confirmed for The Best Time Of Our Lives, but many fans are still anxious
that Lindsay Lohan is to play the other lead female. Much is made in the
gossip press of Matthew's 'three in a bed romp' comments in an interview,
but later admits he was only joking !
- Keira records the first TV commercial
for Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle fragrance, in Paris.
- A rumour (later proved to be incorrect)
states that Keira is to star in '1.30 Train' for director Joel Schumacher.
- Keira kickstarts the craze for environmental
handbags when she's snapped
out with her 'I'm Not A Plastic Bag' bag.
- UK fans are left disappointed when it
is revealed there is to be no London premiere for Pirates AWE, only LA,
Paris and Tokyo.
- Keira and Rupert holiday in Austria,
where Keira learns to ski.
- A louis Vuitton bag, signed by Keira
and auctioned for Comic Relief, reaches £1,500 ($3,000) on eBay.
Other items signed included a T-shirt and a bottle of champagne.
- Keira fans breathe a collective sigh
of relief on the 18th when it is announced that Linsday Lohan has pulled
out of The Best Time Of Our Lives, albeit just a week before filming starts.
On the 23rd, Keira's friend Sienna Miller is confirmed as the last minute
- Keira is one of many celebs who lip-synched
to The Bee Gee's 'Stayin
Alive' in an American Idol charity special. Bend It Like Beckham co-star
Parminder Nagra also appeared.
- Keira is No.12 in FHM magazine's annual
Sexiest Women poll.
- The world's press are full of the story
that Keira is to quit acting, a complete misquote from an interview published
in the new issue of Elle
of the Dylan Thomas movie The Best Time Of Our Lives begins in West Wales
on the 7th. It now carries a new title - The Edge Of Love.
- A charity gala performance of Swan
Lake is held in London, attended by Keira and her Pride & Prejudice
co-stars Ros Pike and Tom Hollander among others.
- Pirates AWE cast promotions was pretty
low-key compared to the previous movies, with Keira being interviewed on
Blue Peter, GMTV, Radio 1 and hosting her second GCap radio network DJ
hour. She did not attend the LA premiere.
- On the 24th, Keira won
her legal battle with the Daily Mail over the anorexia implications
in the January article. The paper was fined £3,000 ($6,000), which
Keira matched and donated the full £6,000 to the eating disorder
- Keira is cover girl on the June issue
Vogue, featuring a photoshoot taken in the Masai Mara region of Kenya.
Keira kept a diary which was later published
- Atonement is announced as the launch
film for this year's Venice Film Festival, starting August 29th.
- Keira debuts on Forbes magazine's Power
List 100, appearing at No.71.
- Pirates AWE opens strongly around the
world, even breaking records in China where sensitive scenes were cut before
- Keira attended the O2 Wireless music
festival in Hyde Park, London and hung out backstage with The White
- Superb reviews
start to appear from journalists after various rough-cut screenings of
- Pirates AWE becomes only the ninth movie
ever to pass $900m at the global box office, with the film yet to open
in many countries. In the first half of the month it rises to become the
fifth biggest movie of all time.
- In an interview
with The Scotsman, Keira's mum Sharman Macdonald reveals that Keira made
her theatre debut at the age of 14 in a production of her own play After
Juliet, which itself was inspired by a comment from Keira.
- On the 27th it is announced
that Keira will play lead role in a movie called The Duchess. She will
play the Duchess of Devonshire, Lady Georgiana Spencer, and is based on
the award-winning book by Amanda Foreman.
- Anticipation of Atonement builds quickly
as many more interviews,
and multi-page features
start to appear in the British press ahead of its September UK release.
- The trailer
for Silk appears online and the official site goes live.
- Keira is No.10 in Premiere magazine's
- Keira wins Choice Movie Actress for
Pirates DMC at the Teen Choice Awards.
- On the 29th, Keira and the rest of the
Atonement cast attend the opening of the Venice
- Promotions of the Chanel 'film' begin
with many advertisements
in the press and light projection displays at locations around the world.
- The Atonement cast attend the UK
premiere of Atonement in London's Leicester Square.
- Keira's highest profile UK interview
to date is broadcast, on Friday Night With Jonathan
- Keira is cover girl on the October issue
- Atonement debuts at No.2 in the UK box
office, with £1.6m.
- Keira attends the festival
premiere of Atonement at the Toronto Film Festival on the 11th. Next
day, she attends a screening
of Silk at the same venue.
- Silk opened in the US on very few screens
and to largely poor reviews.
started on The Duchess on the 17th.
- Silk opens in limited release in Italy
and Japan, two of the countries heavily involved in the movie's production.
- Keira makes Moviefone's 'Top 25 Under
25' list, compiled by industry experts and Hollywood celebrities including
- The first paparazzi video from the set
of one of Keira's films appears online, as Keira turns the air blue after
fluffing her lines on the set of The Duchess.
- Keira is cover girl on the new issue
- Silk opened in the UK to little fanfare,
virtually no promotion and no premiere. Showing on just 24 screens, it
scraped in at No.31 in its debut week.
- Keira wins Best Film Actress at the
Variety Club of Great Britain Showbiz
Awards in London.
- Keira has recorded voices for a character
in the new Robbie The Reindeer adventure called Close Encounters of The
Herd Kind. To be broadcast on Christmas Day in the UK, Keira's character
bridesmaid at Robbie's wedding.
- Keira receives her first Best Actress
nomination by US critics for Atonement, from the Satellite Awards, organised
by the International Press Academy.
- Keira is in the US to promote Atonement,
& Kelly, Ellen
DeGeneres and Good
- A charity
screening of Atonement is held in New York City on the 3rd, attended
by Keira, James and director Joe Wright.
- Keira has the cover in both Elle
UK's January issue and Interview
magazine, whose cover pic causes quite
a stir in the world's press.
- The cast of Atonement attend the US
premiere in Beverly Hills, LA.
- Keira is No.9 in Empire magazine's annual
'100 Sexiest Movie Star' poll.
- Atonement takes nearly $26,000 per screen
in its first weekend. It went on to climb to No.9 in the US box office,
despite showing on only 32 screens nationwide.
- On the 13th, Keira receives her second
Golden Globe nomination, for her role as Cecilia Tallis in Atonement. She
says: "I'm absolutely thrilled, and it's so wonderful that the film has
been nominated in so many categories. I adored making it, and am delighted
for Joe, James, Saoirse and everyone involved." The movie receives seven
nominations, more than any other film.
- Keira is voted Women's Beauty Icon of
2007 in a poll by female cosmetics retailers Superdrug.
- The press reports that Keira is to leave
her central London apartment for a house in the country, away from prying
A scene from The Edge Of Love
Atonement screening, Venice Film Festival
On the set of The Duchess
Atonement premiere, London
Variety Club of Great Britain Showbiz Awards,
Atonement premiere, Los Angeles
Interview Magazine cover, December